A crisis is when normalcy goes KABOOM!
Of course, you can easily recognize a crisis when you see one, but did you miss all the events that led up to it? In most cases, hindsight is 20/20, but the issues that led to the crisis were there, percolating. For example, an employee may have cut some corners that ultimately led to tragic event, or a disgruntled employee becomes a vocal whistleblower.
During a recent webinar on PR Crisis Management, Preparis conducted an audience poll. We wanted to know if their organization had a plan for PR crisis management. The results were:
- 33% of respondents have a plan, but have not trained on that plan
- 18% do not have a plan at all.
When a crisis does occur, many organizations are inadequately prepared, and some major contributors to poor crisis management include:
- Internal thought control
- Legal control
- Lack of decisiveness and speed
- Lack of effort in controlling the message; allowing media and detractors to create a misleading or inaccurate narrative
In order to effectively protect your reputation, revenue, and brand, you need to write, and be confident in, your preparedness and business continuity plans. In addition, you should establish credible communications with the media and your workforce. Both of these actions will help to mitigate the effects of a PR crisis, and allow you to manage through one, should one occur at your organization.
Here are your 8 golden rules for optimum reputation management:
- Protect the wealth of the company.
- Direct every asset toward protecting human health and the environment.
- What did you know, when did you know it, and what are you going to do about it?
- Communicate proactively to stakeholders while using company assets (website, social media channels).
- Remain truthful, but don’t tell everything you know.
- Respect the media and its role, but fear of it or a beholden-type mindset can cripple a company.
- Protect your legal position, but counsel must be negotiated to communications tactics, content, and speed.
- Insist on accuracy in the media and be proactive.
To view a recording of Preparis’ webinar, “The Golden Rules of PR Crisis Management,” click here.
For more information on how Preparis can help streamline your business continuity and emergency preparedness plans and improve communication with bi-directional emergency notification, click here.